Friday, August 5, 2011

Computer Lingo

Who invented binary code?  And how do you count in base 2?  Or is it even base 2?

The first time I ever heard of computers was in 5th grade - "new math"(circa 1962, approx.) - they taught us to count in base 2:

1=1, 10=2, 11=3, 100=4, 101=5 (there are only 2 digits: a zero, and a one).

I googled my questions, and received the following responses:

"The binary number system was first invented back around 1679 by Gottfried Leibniz. The modern, or present day binary code was developed by Claude Shannon."

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_numeral_system

So, that is how computers compute?

Most people count in base 10.

At least that is what the math teacher told me in 5th grade in 1962.

I'm glad I am not required to fully understand it in order to use it!  (My computer, that is.)

6 comments:

  1. Computers these days (can't say for earlier than 1995) are in base 8, because of the bits and bytes. Even then, that's changing to "simplify" (or dumb-down) so that the basic user can understand, and slowly merging into base 10. For example, 1Gig used to be 1024mb, but to "simplify", they're making it 1000mb straight.

    In the end, I don't think it matters so long as it works and people know how to use it ;) But it's typical that I learn to speak in base-8 and then they decide to change it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like you glad I do not have to understand to use mine as would not be here if I did math was never a strong suit of mine. In any form.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suck at maths too. Base eight, though, is basically (and VERY basically!) multiples of 8:

    8 bits is a byte
    8 bytes is a megabyte
    1024 megabytes is a gigabyte
    1024 gigabytes is a terabyte.

    Except now that's changing to "simplify", and it's base 10, which is basically multiples of ten (the easiest multiplication). I don't know if bits, bytes, and megabytes are changing, but 1000 megabytes is a gigabyte, and 1000 gigabytes is a terabyte.

    I don't know who decides these things though ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, I also have vague memories of learning this at school - counting in base 2, base 8, base 16... lots of fun.

    my understanding was that computers computed in binary code (at least in the old days) because it was a question of bulbs being either on or off, so on is 1 and off is 0 and that's all there is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds quite plausible ... I'll have to research that, I'm intrigued now :) (It was all before my time, my "expertise" such as it is only dates back as far as about 1998)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, well, I was exposed to this stuff second-hand back in my childhood and teens. my big brother trained as a computer programmer. he really tried to get me into it too, I remember when I was 14 he introduced me to a self-study book about it. we're talking 1970s here - big machines in their own air-conditioned rooms... /nostalgiafest

    ReplyDelete